1. Stop it! You could bite the dust. 别瞎折腾,当心摔个狗啃泥。
2. Might is right. 拳头大的是爷。
3. I have you by the short hairs. 我抓到你的小辫子了。
4. He's a night owl. 他是个夜猫子。
5. What's come over you? 你发什么神经啊?(怎么啦?)
1.You look perky. 你精神不错啊。
2.Don't give me the bull. 胡说八道。
3.I'll have to wing it / play it by ear. 我只好即兴发挥了。
4.Mayday! 救命!
5.He's such a slug. 他太蘑菇了。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-6-15 05:55 PM
1. Examples abound. 例子举不胜举。
2. Free time is at a premium for him. 他很少有空。
►at a premium 在票面价值以上;极为珍贵,短缺;很受尊重
3. I stopped short of telling him, but only just. 我差点告诉他。
►stop short of 突然停止,决定不做某事;未到达;缺乏
►only just 恰好,刚刚,刚才;好不容易才
4. Draw/pull up a chair and sit before me. 拉把椅子过来。
►draw up 草拟,起草;停住;把(椅子等)拉近,使靠近;排好队伍;使(自己)站直
►pull up 把…向上拉;使停下来;提高,改进;把…拉到近处
5. It takes true grit to do it. 做这件事需要真正的勇气。
►true grit 电影《大地惊雷(True Grit)》又译《真实的勇气》作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-6-27 04:58 PM
1. The news came like a bolt from the blue. 这个消息仿佛晴天霹雳。
►a bolt from the blue 意想不到的事情,晴天霹雳,飞来横祸
►the blue 即“晴天”,bolt 即“闪电”,比喻“突如其来的恶讯”
2. Don’t be a dog in the manger. 别占着茅坑不拉屎。
►a dog in the manger: 占马槽的狗,占着茅坑不拉屎的人,(对某物)自己不享用又不让别人享用的人。出自《伊索寓言》,大概就是狗把马槽当自己的床铺,躺在那儿又叫又咬,不让马吃食物。马很生气说,真卑鄙,他自己不吃,也不让别人吃。
3. You need to keep your hand in. 你应该拳不离手。
►keep one's hand in 不间断地练习以保持技术熟练,使技术不致荒废;继续保持对…的控制权,继续过问
4. He has a massive potbelly. 他有个将军肚.
5. It’s just a temporary expedien. 这只是个权宜之计。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-2 02:31 PM
1.She's whiter than white. 她假装清纯。
2.Dog doesn't eat dog. 官官相护。
3.Hang out the white flag. 投降吧。
4.Well, you live and learn. 林子大了什么鸟都有。
5.I hedge my bets. 我做两手准备。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-5 05:13 PM
1. We're not a fly-by-night operator. 我们不做一锤子买卖。
2. Red flag. 危险!
3. How could you lay it at my door? 你怎么能说是我的责任呢?
4. My heart was in my mouth. 我的心都提到嗓子眼了。
5. I'm such a scatterbrain. 我总爱丢三落四。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-6 07:24 PM
1.You're so yellow. 你是个胆小鬼。
2.I'm not a big fan of the golden mean. 我不懂什么中庸之道。
3.Stop fanning the flames. 别扇风点火了。
4.She's a Girl Friday. 她是个女助理。
5.There's life in the old dog yet. 小子,姜还是老的辣。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-8 04:30 PM
1. Don't worry. I'm the soul of discretion. 放心吧。我嘴很严的。
►the soul of discretion 最谨慎的人,谨慎的化身
2. He's a computer buff. 他是计算机牛人。
►buff 有“狂者爱好者,爱好者,行家里手”的意思
►e.g. He is a real film buff. 他是个真正的电影迷。
3. We'll have to eke it out. 我们得将就着点。(我们得撑过难关)
►eke out 弥补...的不足,竭力维持
►e.g. eke out a living/existence 勉强度日,维持生计
4. I didn't just come into town on the turnip truck. 你以为我村儿里来的?(我没那么土)
5. The heady days of my youth are gone. 我不像年轻时那么冲动了。
►heady days 令人晕眩的日子,郁闷的日子
e.g. the heady days of the "swinging sixties" “摇摆的60 年代”那些令人热血沸腾的时光作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-9 04:24 PM
1. Courage will carry you through. 勇气会助你渡过难关。
►carry through 完成,贯彻,进行;帮助克服困难
2. I’ll never go cap in hand to him. 我才不会求他。
►go cap in hand to 必恭必敬,卑躬屈节
3. I hate his guts. 我恨死他了。
4. My dad is a real stick-in-the-mud. 我爸是个老古板。
►stick-in-the-mud 作名词时用来比喻顽固和墨守成规的人;作形容词时表示保守的,思想迟钝的
5. He is a thorn in my side. 他是我的眼中钉。
►a thorn in the side/flesh 肉中刺;棘手的事,不断使某人烦恼的根源作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-11 08:30 PM
1. More power to you! 再接再厉!
2. I did it by some sleight of hand. 我耍了点花招。
3. I'm sorry to subject you to this trouble. 给您添麻烦了。
4. To our abiding friendship! 我们的友谊地久天长!
5. Reputation passes by word of mouth. 名声要靠口碑。 作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-16 01:31 PM
1. Spare a thought for my situation. 你也想想我的处境行不行?
►spare a thought for 想到…;替…着想
2. I used to be a martyr to mouth ulcer. 我以前老得口腔溃疡。
►be a martyr to 长期患…病;受着…的折磨
►e.g. She is a martyr to rheumatism. 她长斯受着风湿病的折磨。
3. Give me a leg up since I'm new. 我刚来,请大家多多关照。
►leg up n.(对上马或跨跃障碍时的)帮助
►give sb. a leg up 帮助某人攀登,帮助某人度过难关
►e.g. Can anyone give me a leg up? 谁能帮我一下?
4. Always be the pick of the bunch. 永远做最好的。
►the pick of the bunch 一批中最好的;精华;出类拔萃的人(或物)
►e.g. This Australian wine is the pick of the bunch. 这种澳大利亚葡萄酒是最好的葡萄酒。
5. He's a genius, by common consent. 他是公认的天才。
►by common consent 经一致同意,公认作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-18 04:32 PM
1. You backed the wrong horse. 你找错人了。
2. The bird has flown. 人去楼空了。
3. He lacks in guile. 他这人没什么心机。
4. Get a frame? 杀一盘?
5. On your mark … get set … go! 各就各位,预备,跑!作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-20 09:01 PM
1. He’s kicked upstairs. 他被明升暗降。
2. He’s a recidivist. 他屡教不改。
3. Don’t worry. The dress is color-fast. 放心。这衣服不掉色。
►color-fast 不褪色
4. She sleeps like a log. 她睡觉睡的好极了。
5. The charm can ward off evil spirits. 这件饰品能避邪。
►ward off 避开,架开,挡住,防止,击溃
e.g. I try to ward off fatigue by resting as much as possible. 为了防止疲劳,我尽可能多休息。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-22 05:56 PM
1. You’re pouring water into a sieve. 你太浪费了。
2. This contravenes regulations. 这违反规则。
3. It must remain in true-blue hands. 这事必须由可靠的人办。
►true-blue 忠贞不渝的,坚贞的,坚定的
4. Snap out of it. It’s not the end of the world. 别老想这事了。又不是世界末日。
►snap out of it 打起精神,行动起来,别泄气
►e.g. Even if you were wasting time all the years before, you can still snap out of it and begin a new life now. 就算你之前几年都在荒废时间,现在你仍然可以振作起来,开始新的生活。
5. Bookkeeping is not really my line. 财会不是我强项。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-23 04:46 PM
1. The memories are hazy now. 记忆已经模糊了。
2. Our marriage is rock solid. 我们的婚姻很稳固。
►rock-solid 坚挺如岩石的;稳若盘石的;毫不动摇的,绝对可靠的
e.g. Freeze it only until firm but not rock solid. 把它冻硬,但是不要硬得像石头一样。
3. Now you're talking. 这个主意还不错。
4. How could you hold it back ? 你干吗瞒我呀?
►hold back
►(1)不向(某人)透露情况,隐瞒 e.g. You seem to be holding something back. 你好像隐瞒了点什么。
►(2)抑制,控制(感情等);不露声色 e.g. I was close to tears with frustration, but I held back. 我沮丧得快要哭出来,但我忍住了。
►(3)(使)犹豫,踌躇 e.g. When dangers come, no one hold back. 危险来临,无人退缩。
5. Don’t rake up the past. 不要翻旧帐。
►rake up 重提,翻旧账,朝花夕拾
►e.g. Raking up the past won't help anyone. 重提旧事对任何人都没什么好处。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-25 08:42 PM
1. I was sitting on thorns. 我如坐针毡。
►sit on thorns 如坐针毡,焦急不安,坐卧不宁
2. The years have mellowed me. 岁月让我成熟。
3. You can't welch on your promises. 你不能说话不算数啊。
►welch on 赖账;不履行(诺言、义务)
e.g. He left the town in order to welch on all his debts. 他为了赖账离开了这座城镇。
4. Evil deeds are done in the name of good. 多少恶行打着正义的旗号!
►evil deeds 邪恶的行为;邪行
5. You go. I'll stick around. 你走吧。我再呆会儿。
►stick around 逗留;在附近徘徊;呆在原处(等待)
e.g. We'd love you to stick around for dinner. 我们想留你吃晚饭。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-26 03:23 PM
1. I was only a hick town lad at that time. 当时我只是个村里来的傻小子。
►hick 和city slicker 这两个词分别是城里人和乡下人对对方的贬称。hick的意思是“乡巴佬,土包子”。slick字面意思是“圆滑的,油滑的”,所以一个city slicker 也就是说话很圆滑,衣着很时髦,但是很可能是一个不老实、不可信任的家伙。2. I need to confer with my lawyer. 我要见我的律师。
►confer with 商讨,交换意见
►e.g. I'll confer with him on the subject. 我将和他商议这件事。
3. How's he like? Warts and all. 他这人怎么样?照实说(不要隐瞒他的缺点)。
►warts and all 不掩盖地,据实地,毫无保留,不隐瞒任何缺点
4. Survival of the fittest. God's honest truth. 适者生存,天经地义。
5. You can't fight destiny. 人不能跟命争。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-27 07:46 PM
1. It's useless to reproach yourself. 自责是没用的。
2. Put your own house in order first! 先拿镜子照照自己!
►put one's house in order 把家里的事安排得有条有理;处理好自己的事情,正人先正己
3. You always claim the moral high ground. 就你自己是君子。
►high ground (常指争论、辩论中的)优势,有利地位;道义上的优势,道德上的制高点
►claim the moral high ground 声称站在了道德高地上
4. My leg went into spasm. 我的腿突然痉挛。
►go into 进入,从事,参加;开始…生涯;深入研究;详谈
►e.g. The sick man went into a coma. 病人进入了昏迷状态。
5. He cried in spells. 他哭一阵停一阵。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-7-30 04:42 PM
1. She's an iron hand in a velvet glove. 她外柔内刚。
►an iron hand in a velvet glove 外柔中刚,笑面虎,口蜜腹剑,笑里藏刀
2. The business is on the ropes. 生意岌岌可危。
►on the ropes 被击倒在拳击场的围栏索上;处境岌岌可危,濒临毁灭,处于困境
3. Many girls want to marry into the purple. 很多女孩都想嫁入豪门。
►marry into the purple (女子)嫁入王侯显贵之家,与皇子(或贵族)结婚
4. Take it with a grain of salt. 别全当真。
►with a grain of salt 有保留地,不全信地
5. You've been living in a fool's paradise. 你傻并快乐着。
►a fool's paradise 黄梁美梦作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-1 08:34 PM
1. We're facing an intractable problem. 这个问题似乎无法解决。
2. Restaurants jacked up their prices. 饭馆全部涨价。
►jack up 增加,提高;组织,安排;责备,规劝;停止,放弃
►e.g. People are afraid that taxes will soon be jacked up. 人们担心税金会很快提高。
►e.g. She jacked up the job because the salary was too low. 因为薪水太低了,她辞掉了这项工作。
3. He cast a few furtive glances. 他偷看了几眼。
4. She's a talebearer. 这个女人好搬弄是非。
5. The taste is no better than chewed tallow. 味同嚼蜡。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-3 07:31 PM 本帖最后由 vivi-asta 于 2017-8-3 07:33 PM 编辑
1. I'm not gonna do it without some financial inducements. 没点实惠我可不干。
2. Come straight home and don't loitor. 赶快回家,不要瞎逛。
3. You can't wink at what he did. 你不能对他的行为视而不见哪。
►wink at 向(某人)使眼色;假装没看见,对……睁一只眼闭一只眼
e.g. Marry often winks at the spelling mistakes in her homework. 玛丽常常对她作业里的拼写错误睁一眼闭一眼。
4. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. 朽木不可雕也。
5. It's only his own wishful thinking. 这只是他自己一厢情愿。
►wishful thinking 如意算盘,痴心妄想作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-8 05:43 PM
1. We have to adopt salami tactics. 我们得稳扎稳打,步步为营。
►salami tactics 渐进战术
2. You're killing me with that damn tenderness of yours. 你那该死的温柔!
3. Don't let your nervousness come through. 别让人看出你紧张。
►come through 出来,到达;表现,体现;经历;获得成功
4. Try to strike a happy medium. 尽量折衷使大家都满意。
►strike a happy medium 折衷,走中庸之道
5. You certainly made short work of it. 你挺利索啊。
►make short work of 很快地完成,迅速解决,除掉作者: ?垂 时间: 2017-8-10 10:49 AM
涨姿势咧作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-10 09:26 PM
?垂 发表于 2017-8-10 10:49 AM
涨姿势咧
谢谢鼓励 作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-10 09:27 PM
1. This is our corporate responsibility. 这是我们共同的责任。
►corporate responsibility 共同责任
2. I was on the verge of tears. 我差点掉眼泪。
►on the verge of 接近于……,濒于……
►e.g. The old man was on the verge of eighty. 那老人已年近八十。
3. I have to use heavy-handed tactics. 我只能采取铁腕政策。
►heavy-handed 笨手笨脚的,不灵活的;严厉的,苛刻的;粗鲁的,粗俗的
4. Keep your ear to the ground. 警觉一点。
5. Lay back and enjoy your autumn years. 你可以安享晚年了。
►autumn years (尤指退休后的)迟暮,暮年作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-13 04:22 PM
1. Lay back and enjoy your autumn years. 你可以安享晚年了。
►autumn years (尤指退休后的)迟暮,暮年
2. Are you gonna mooch off your family all the time? 你准备当一辈子啃老族?
►mooch off 向...敲竹杠,揩...的油,跟...要钱
3. In the heat of the moment I slapped her. 我一气之下给了她一巴掌。
►in the heat of the moment 一时激动之下,一时兴起,在盛怒之下
5. See over for the answer. 答案在下一页。
►see over 巡视,视察,察看。它也有“见下文”的意思,而与之对应的是see above“见上文”作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-16 08:48 PM
1. It's a living death. 生不如死。
►living death 活地狱,人间地狱;活受罪,毫无乐趣的生活,生不如死的生活
2. Do you really have to go one better? 你一定要压住人家吗?
►go one better 稍稍胜过,比某人略高一筹
e.g. Whatever you do, he'll always try to go one better. 你无论做什么,他总想胜过你。
3. Don't let it get you down. 别让这事坏了心情。
►get sb down 使紧张,使难过,使沮丧,使抑郁
4. Dope test is compulsory. 兴奋剂检查是必须的。
►Dope test 兴奋剂检查,兴奋剂检测
5. A few pillow talks changed his mind. 听了几句枕边风他就改变了主意。
►pillow talk 枕边语,悄悄话,私房话作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-8-21 06:46 PM
1. I tell the class in my opening salvo. 每次开新课我都会跟学生讲清楚。
2. It went off half-cocked. 走火了。
►go off at half cock 枪走火;仓促行事,操之过急(指计划、典礼等尚未安排就绪即行开始);发怒,发脾气
e.g. Attention, please, don't go off at half cock. 请注意,不要仓促行事。
3. She made a splash with the song. 这首歌让她一夜成名。
4. Don’t be so argumentative. 你怎么老抬扛啊?
►make a splash 一炮打响,一举成名,引人注目,大肆炫耀,大张旗鼓
5. She gave me the once-over. 她迅速打量了我一下。
►once-over 浏览一遍;草率的工作;草草过目作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-9-5 08:37 PM
1. You need to have eyes in the back of your head. 你得时时小心。
2. I'm stuck in a rut. 我的生活太单调了。
►in a rut 照惯例,照老规矩,墨守成规
e.g. I gave up my job because I felt I was stuck in a rut. 我放弃了我的工作,因为我觉得那种生活呆板无聊。
3. He does everything haphazardly. 他做事毫无计划。
4. You're brimming with energy. 你充满活力。
►brim with 充满,充溢,充盈
e.g. Her eyes were brimming with tears. 她两眼充满了泪水。
5. I'm nauseated by your hypocrisy. 你的虚伪真让我恶心作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-9-12 04:32 PM
1. You're eating my heart out Zhang Xueyou. 你跟张学友有一拼哪。
►eat one's heart out 有“伤心欲绝”的意思。
eat your heart out 后接一个名人的名字时,常常是开玩笑地说比其还要强,有得一拼。If someone says eat your heart out followed by the name of a famous person, they are joking that they are even better than that person(而当后面接人名时,可以调侃地翻译为“某某,你就羡慕嫉妒恨吧!”)
2. The demands try you sorely. 这些要求让你心烦意乱。
3. I do my business in good faith. 我诚信经营。
►in good faith 真诚地,诚意地,真心实意地
e.g. I doubt whether he is in good faith. 我怀疑他是否有诚意。
4. You little rascals. 你们这些小坏蛋。
5. You're looking trim! 你越来越苗条了!作者: 喜欢雨天的我 时间: 2017-9-22 11:25 PM
谢谢你的分享哦!作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-10-3 08:49 PM
1. They would give you a slow handclap. 他们会喝倒彩的。
►slow handclap 慢而有节奏的鼓掌;尤指喝倒彩表达不满和不耐烦
2. Your fate is sealed. 你死定了。
3. She goofed her lines. 她说错词了。
4. Don't be so common. 别那么没品。
5. You're riding a tiger now. 你现在骑虎难下了。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-10-3 08:50 PM
喜欢雨天的我 发表于 2017-9-22 11:25 PM
谢谢你的分享哦!
谢谢鼓励 作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-10-7 04:53 PM
1. Don't push your luck. I'm not Santa Claus. 别贪得无厌。我又不是圣诞老人。
►push one's luck [俚]得寸进尺;过分贪图侥幸;想继续交好运
2. I'll have to shelve my plan. 我的计划得暂时搁浅。
3. Don't be such a killjoy. 别扫大家的兴。
4. It's a conjecture on my part. 这只是我的推测。
5. I don't want to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. 我并不想永垂青史。
►Hall of Fame 名人纪念堂;(某一行业的)出类拔萃的人物(集团)作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-10-30 02:58 PM
1. Nothing really tickled my fancy. 没什么吸引我的东西。
►tickle one's fancy 引起某人的兴趣
2. She had the presence of mind. 她沉着冷静,反应敏捷。
►presence of mind 沉着,镇定,不乱方寸;聚精会神,专心志致
e.g. The boy had the presence of mind to turn off the gas. 那男孩子镇定地关掉了煤气。
3. A man should have a sinewy body. 男人应该强壮。
4. I can throw him off the scent for a while. 我可以瞒他一阵子。
►throw/put sb. off the scent 糊弄人
5. You could count on the fingers of one hand. 屈指可数。
►count on the fingers of one hand 屈指可数,寥寥无几。从字面不难猜出这个词的意思,一只手就可以数过来,那可真的是太少。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-11-4 03:40 PM
1. I'm feeling slothful. 我有些怠倦。
2. The child is father of the man. 三岁看大,七岁看老。
3. He's in traction. 他现在还打着石膏呢。
4. That is my ultimate accolade. 这是我最大的荣誉。
5. I know which side my bread is buttered. 我知道轻重。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-11-6 05:29 PM
1. He's an Adonis. 他是个帅哥。
2. We don't stand on ceremony here. 这儿没那么多规矩。
►stand on ceremony 讲究礼仪,拘泥于礼节,讲客套
e.g. Don't stand on ceremony! 别太拘束!
3. The jury is hung. 陪审团观点不一,无法定论。
4. My leg cramped up. 我的腿抽筋了。
5. This is my husband's holy of holies. 这间屋是我老公的圣所。
►holy of holies 最神圣的地方(或东西);至圣所,犹太教堂的内殿
e.g. To the children, their father's study was the holy of holies. 在这些孩子的眼里,父亲的书房是最神圣的地方。作者: vivi-asta 时间: 2017-11-18 06:26 PM
1. I'll offer an appropriate recompense. 我会给予适当的补偿。
2. He's been singing the praises of you. 他对你赞赏有加。
►sing the praises of 赞颂;盛赞
3. She gave me a curt reply. 她的回答生硬无礼。
4. All your geese are swans. 你的都是好的。
5. Necessity knows no law. 为了生存就顾不得法律了。